Monday, October 15, 2012

A way to brighten your day, if you don't mind a few ghouls hanging around!

I feel that there is going to be a common theme over the next month, as everywhere I look there are reminders of Halloween and Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead). So I am going to go straight for the slightly spooky theme with an exhibition I went to last week called 'Dare to Wear' at the Crypt Gallery.  A beautiful Crypt on Euston Road that can easily be passed, but if you dare to find the entrance you will step down into another world. Yes it maybe a slightly crazy one, with mannequins and barbie dolls being a common element in a lot of the artists exhibitions, however  I thought it was a great way to celebrate death as a juxtaposition of luminous colour displayed in a stone chamber. A favourite of mine was the painted leather jackets which you can see below. I think it is worth a visit, and it your not too creeped out by the Victorian's buried in the walls maybe you will dare to celebrate the Day of the Dead there too, and meet some of the artists with these mad ideas.


 The outside of the Crypt of St Pancras Church. 


 One of the many groups of mannequins hanging around the Crypt.


 Love the look of this mannequin, very sleek with those crazy glasses. 


My favourite, I might even end up hand painting my leather jacket!


Some of the tomb stones in the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment